ABOUT SANDUSKY COUNTY
WELCOME TO SANDUSKY COUNTY
A county rich in history...
Sandusky County was the location of the first victory in the War of 1812 against the British at the Battle of Fort Stephenson! While our historical significance is important, today manufacturing and tourism are our top industries.
Photo of the original main entrance of the Hayes Museum shown from Jefferson Street.
Today the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library & Museum is one of the leading attractions to visitors of Sandusky County. In 2016 the Hayes Presidential Museum received a 1.3 million dollar renovation.
Photo above is believed to come from the early 20's and shows several sheriff deputies on motocycles outside the historic county jail, located on Croghan street.
Welcome to Sandusky County, where Agriculture, Manufacturing and Tourism are our top industries. Sandusky County was once called the Cutlery and Sour Kraut capital of the world, but today Sandusky County is widely known for our rich historical significance.
On February 12, 1820, the Ohio government sanctioned the creation of Sandusky County. Citizens named the county after an Indian term for “at the cold water.” Sandusky County was originally part of territory set aside for Ohio's Indian people by the Treaty of Greeneville. White settlement of the county occurred very slowly, due to the Great Black Swamp occupying most of the land.
In 2011, Sandusky County was ranked No. 1 by Forbes.com as the “Best Place to Live Cheaply” in the United States. Compared to the rest of the country, Sandusky County’s cost of living is 15.30% lower than the U.S average.
Most of Sandusky County's residents find employment in agricultural positions, with 70% of the county's acreage under cultivation. Sandusky County farmers are the fifth largest producers of tomatoes in Ohio. Manufacturing businesses, service industries, and retail positions finish second, third, and fourth respectively.
As of the census of 2014, there were 60, 842 people, 26,170 households, and 16,957 families. According to the U.S census, the Sandusky County has a total of 418 square miles, of which 408 is land and 9.3 square miles is water. The population density was 151 people per square mile. The racial makeup of the county was 92.20% White, 2.67% Black or African American, 0.13% Native American, 0.29% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, and 6.96% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
Fremont, Ohio, located in Sandusky County is rich in history. It was the location of the first victory in the war of 1812 at the battle of Fort Stephenson. Fremont is also the home to our nation’s 19th president, Rutherford B. Hayes and is also the location of the first Presidential Library. Whatever your into, Sandusky County has something for you!
Additional County Information and Maps
Fremont, the county seat, is located at Exit 91 of the Ohio Turnpike Sandusky County is intersected by US 20 and SR 53 and SR 19
We are located:
20 minutes from the Lake Erie Island Ferry in Downtown Port Clinton
45 minutes to Cedar Point Amusement Park
45 minutes from downtown Toledo
90 minutes from downtown Cleveland
Downloadable County Map in .PDF Format
712 North Street, Fremont, Ohio 43420 | 419-332-4470 or toll free 800-255-8070 | Fax 419-332-4359