||The Mad River & NKP Railroad museum is a lasting bicentennial project. NKP is the AAR reporting mark for the Nickel Plate Road (New York, Chicago & St. Louis Railroad Company) which ran through Bellevue from 1882 until 1964 when it merged with the Norfolk & Western Railway.
The private collection of Ted & Sarah Church of Erie, PA is an interesting addition to our museum. The collection is displayed in former Troop Sleepers 9210, 9211, 9212 which were used by the U.S. Army during the war.
Within these cars you will see wall and floor cases and pictures lining both sides of the cars. In the wall cases are displays of torches, buttons, badges, locks, silverware and many hand tools with historical interest. The floor cases hold china and linens and much more.
We have a collection of artifacts that include, uniforms, timetables, lanterns, china, locks and much more. Our collection continues to grow each year thanks to the many donors interested in preserving the history of railroading.
Hanging along the walls are numerous lanterns and light fixtures from as early as 1890. A large drawing from 1880 shows the Old Union Station on the lake front in Cleveland while another drawing shows the corporate history of the LS&MS Ry.
Steps and open doors on the many rail cars and cabooses mean welcome aboard to folks of all ages who come to this "hands on" Museum to enjoy the day and reminisce at their leisure about railroading.
Books, videos, patches, pins, T-shirts, hats, and mugs are just a few of the items available in the gift shop.
A picnic shelter is located in the former LS & MS passenger depot area. The area has been made into a park.
The former Bellevue Monument Works now houses some of the displays, wooden cars and a video viewing area.
There is plenty of room for cars and buses.
Restrooms are handicapped accessible and are located in the Monument Station.
Safety Videos by Operation Lifesaver®